Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Galendara's "Lest They Should See"

.

Comics artist Galendara participated in an 18-hour-comics event over the weekend and while I wouldn't normally post about comics made under this stress as it's just not fair to treat them like a carefully crafted work for publication, I've decided that since it was inspired in part by a story I wrote and because it turned out pretty dang cool that I would through it up here. (Note: I will, in spirit, be following my book-reading MS POLICY.)

Lest They Should See

The comic is an elegiac look at fertility and barrenness and, in my opinion, the most striking visual element is what Galen does with wombs. For instance, how they are connected to the earth:

Lest They Should See
Lest They Should See
Lest They Should See

These images are not pressed together like this in her work (click on any of them to read the whole thing), but this is their order and I love the progression from potential to growth to widespread barrenness which reminds me of Isaiah's prophesies.

Anyway. MS POLICY. It's up and you are welcome to read it for yourself.

And let's have more of these events, shall we?

1 comment:

galen dara said...

wow, thank you. Flattered, and also embarrassed~ I'm not a quick draw and found the 18hr challenge to be quite difficult.
btw, yes, I do have a thing for wombs
:)